The Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) is a public benefit corporation and politic arm of New York State, whose mission is to develop, maintain, and operate the infrastructure of Roosevelt Island. As part of this mandate, RIOC operates and maintains several facilities including the Cultural Center, Sportspark, and the Motorgate Garage: as well as other outdoor spaces such as Firefighter’s Field, Southpoint Park, and Lighthouse Park, among other facilities and locations. Infrastructure operations also includes the Aerial Tramway, and a free Red Bus Service that stops at various points on Roosevelt Island; and a Public Safety Department that serves as the community’s first responders in coordination with the New York City Police Department. RIOC’s workforce is also comprised of union workers from Local 210, 32BJ, PSOB, and other administrative staff.
Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) seeks an experienced, intellectually curious, and dynamic professional to assume the rapidly evolving role for Director of Communications. Both an action-oriented strategist and self-starter, the Director of Communications will lead RIOC’s to its complete rebranding and website redesign; and develop a detailed communications strategy to reach media, policymakers, and the community at large.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Communications, incumbent is responsible for the development and implementation of RIOC’s communication strategy. The Director of Communications will develop a strategic and effective communication plan for RIOC directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation.
The Director, Communications is responsible to support the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public affairs activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be a key ambassador for the organization and will need to build and nurture relationships with the media. The goal is to advance the organization’s position with relevant stakeholders, as well as to drive broader profile for the organization. The Director, Communications will be responsible for RIOC’s varied and integrated communications products and services including newsletters and other print publications; web, and other online communications; media and public relations.
The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Communicates critical information effectively to the public, both oral and written.
- Serves as spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions.
- Supports the development and executions of the communications strategies.
- Writes press releases and prepare information for distribution to media outlets.
- Drafts speeches and arrange interviews for officials of the corporation.
- Actively engages, cultivates, and manages press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding RIOC’s priorities, special events, and other projects.
- Responds to requests for information from media outlets.
- Helps maintain and uphold a professional image and identity for the corporation.
- Supports New York State’s reasonable accommodations requirement at all public meetings and RIOC sponsored events.
- Leads the review and updating of content on the RIOC website on a regular and timely basis.
- Maintains current and newly established measurement metrics and benchmarks for communications and external relations to improve RIOC’s visibility.
- Creates and produce internal and external newsletters, recommending content, facilitating interviews.
- Monitors RIOC’s social media accounts and recommend relevant posts to all platforms.
- Promotes special events and other RIOC programs and initiatives.
- Creates and maintains a repository of media coverage/information about the island, Executive staff, and or projects in a format that is usable and accessible by staff and the public.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.